« Home | It's not about me. » | Change » | The Bad Side of TiVo » | Remember When.... » | YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2005 when... » | Nausea » | I don't know who you people are!!!! » | My day starts too early. » | Some quick observations. » | So, I didn’t know that you were a Minister…. » 

Friday, October 14, 2005 

Why do we have a problem with rules?

One thing that I've noticed recently is that most people have an issue with rules. Everyone speeds on the freeways, or makes California Stops (you know S.T.O.P - Slightly Tap On Pedal), or downloads what they like to call 'free' music, and so on. But they justify themselves by following the 'big' rules; They don't kill, they don't really 'steal', etc.

The problem is that they want to take this same attitude with God. They like to stick to the idea of "I'm not perfect, but I'm good enough". The problem with this is... none of us are "good enough", we are all flawed, make mistakes, get angry, and sin.

That is why Jesus is so important! He died for our sins, he did what we cannot do, provide a perfect, sinless sacrifice;

And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."
Matthew 26:27-28

Now many people close to me are Christians, and believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and our savior. However, when it comes back to the 'rules' they like to go back to the 'good enough' theory. They say "Yes, I believe in God, and in Jesus, but I don't think that Christianity is the only way." They like to believe that it doesn't matter what you believe in, as long as you are 'good enough', you will get to heaven. I hate to bring this to your attention, but that isn't an option.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me."
John 14:6

You have a choice; Looney, Liar, or Lord (thank you Fr. Rich). Jesus didn't leave us with many options. If you say that you believe in Jesus as the son of God and our Savior, but you don't 'have' to believe in him to get into heaven, then you're calling him a liar. If you like to believe that he was a great teacher who had a lot of great things to say, but don't believe he is the Christ, the Son of the living God... well I'm sorry you are putting him in the looney category.

"For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me;"
John 6:38

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works."
John 14:10

You can't pick and choose what you like and discard what you don't like. You are not the one making the rules.

You have to read, study, listen, and open your heart and follow, not what you believe is right, but what God wants of you, and all his children. Someone said that they believe that there are many paths through the forest of life that lead to heaven, and when I think about it they are both right and wrong at the same time. As stated above, there is only one path to heaven... however there are many paths that lead to the one true path. There are many forks in the road, and many paths to get lost on along the way, but God has given you a map (The Bible), and put many signs along the road (the many Christians in the world), and has even provided a guide (The Holy Spirit), it's just up to you if you want to listen to the guide.

One quick note before I go... to those of you who don't believe as I do or do not believe in anything at all, please do not read this and judge me or even worse, worry about me judging you. I will not come to your house to beat you over the head with a bible, or tell you how you are going to hell. I just read my map, follow the signs, and listen to my guide. I'd love it if you came with me along the journey but I'm not going to try and drag you, kicking and screaming. I just hope and pray that when you come to a fork in the road, I might be one of the signs helping to point the way.

Amen! nicely said ;-)

WHOA!Have you been sneeking off to seminary and not telling me ?

Funny that you posted this today, when I just posted a thing about my frustrations with Christianity earlier today.

I must admit, I'm pretty curious about why you converted. But I'm kind of wary of getting into a religious discussion because I don't want us to create tension or anything.

Perhaps we can strike a deal - you recommend a couple books, videos, whatever to me about Christianity, and I'll promise to read/watch them with an open mind. Then I'll recommend a couple things on factory farming for you. Then we both get educated, and though we might not agree in the end, at least we'll understand things better.

Bravo Kevin, well spoken. Your entrance essay for seminary?

Post a Comment