« Home | My day starts too early. » | Some quick observations. » | So, I didn’t know that you were a Minister…. » | How do I deal with Negativity???? » | OK... so I got tagged. » | What to write about.... » | Puerto Penasco » | Where has the time gone. » | My Boring Ass Life � Wednesday, 6/1/05 » | BBSpot Top 11 Star Wars.... » 

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 

I don't know who you people are!!!!

(phone rings)
"Hello, this is Kevin"
"So I'm having problems getting this to work..."
(pause)
"OK.... what are you having a problem with.."
"Well I installed what you told me, and it's not working..."
(a little longer pause)
"OK.... and you are????"

Why is it that people call me and start right into their conversation as if I know who they are and/or what they are talking about. I can understand this if they were calling me right back after I just got off the phone with them, but these are people who I haven't talked to in days... or even weeks!

How hard is it really to take the time to say something like;
"Hi Kevin... this is Bob, remember when you were helping me with X, well it's not working."
What happened to phone etiquette? Isn't there is supposed to be a way to start and end all phone calls? We all need to go back to what our parents and grandparents taught us... maybe go way back and start answering the phone "Ahoy-hoy"
A Brass Farthing to the first one who knows why "Ahoy-hoy"

Anchors aweigh to "Ahoy, hoy!"
This was an old greeting used on the phone. Benjamin Robinson says,
"When the phone was first coming into popular use, a problem
arose: What to say when you answer it? Several alternatives
were suggested, and one of them was `Ahoy!' It looks as though
Burns stuck with that, even as the rest of the world had moved
on to `This had better be good' [or `What?!' --ed]." Jason
Hancock further adds that according to Cecil Adams' book "More
of the Straight Dope" (1988) it was common to say this when
answering the phone and was replaced by "Hello" as the time
progressed. Greg Franks adds that Alexander Graham Bell said
this was the proper way to answer the phone.

Gotta love Google searches ;)

Post a Comment