« Home | How do I deal with Negativity???? » | OK... so I got tagged. » | What to write about.... » | Puerto Penasco » | Where has the time gone. » | My Boring Ass Life � Wednesday, 6/1/05 » | BBSpot Top 11 Star Wars.... » | Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters » | Do Pets Go to Heaven? » | Trooper Clerks » 

Monday, September 19, 2005 

So, I didn’t know that you were a Minister….

Now if this isn’t a strange change in my life. I go from being the one that everyone knows as the resident atheist, to having the new people at my work thinking that I’m a Minister.

Now maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think that you have to be a Minister to read the Bible. Apparently other people do because that is why the person today made the comment about me being a Minister. If you read Harry Potter, Stephen King, or Lord of the Rings people don’t assume too many things about you, but if you’re reading the Bible it’s a whole other matter.

The funny thing is that I was one of those people who would assume something like that before. If I saw someone reading the Bible at work I would assume that they were either a “Minister” or a ‘religious freak’. Seeing as how I’m not a Minister, and I don’t consider myself a ‘religious freak’, I now see that I was wrong in my assumptions before…

However, maybe to other people I am a ‘religious freak’. I read the bible, I go to church every week (and not because my wife forces me ;), and I pray on a regular basis (at least every day). I’m trying to fit in following the Daily Office in the evenings, however with 2 kids that much free time just doesn’t exist.

I still am a little apprehensive about talking about religion with some people. I recently bought a crucifix necklace that I wear daily. Now the funny thing is that I wear it under my shirt most times. At work, maybe it’s just me but I think it might make some people uncomfortable to have me wearing a crucifix, so I can justify it there. Elsewhere however… I wear it under my shirt when I’m uncomfortable, which I don’t really feel good about.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel: it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. RSV
Now I don’t feel ashamed by my faith… I just don’t feel comfortable getting questions about it from certain people in my life, not just yet. With some people it is because I see it becoming an argument, how I am ‘wrong’ in what I believe. With others, questions about what made me change and about what I believe, which I don’t feel prepared to answer adequately yet.

Finally, I worry about how people may see me because I know to me at one time in my life, wearing a crucifix put you in the ‘religious freak’ category. To me it’s different from being ‘ashamed’, but it’s a close line that I’m not too comfortable with. For now… I pray.

It is a cool thing to be on fire Kevin, just be thankful our persecutions are sooooo mild compared to the early church!

Post a Comment